Subject: Re: number eeprom writes.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Dylan D Zehr <ddzehr@telecom.ksu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/1995 11:21:16
David Gilbert writes:

>	As I'm trying to get everything going on my old sun4/260, I
>have had to change my configurating using eeprom several times.  Once,
>when reading the manual I spotted a little note that the eeprom could
>only be written to a certain number of times.  Does anyone have any
>idea what this number is?  Also, if this number is exhausted, can the
>chip be ordered to replace it?

I dont know which particular eeprom is in the sun4/260, but generally
electrically erasable devices have a lifetime of around 10,000 writes.

For pratical purposes you wont ever have to worry about it, but it
is possible for it to fail if you really work hard at it.

--
Dylan D Zehr
UNIX Systems Admin.