Subject: Re: SVR4 network emulation?
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/06/1995 11:37:53
On Fri, 6 Oct 1995 12:45:59 -0400
 Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu> wrote:

 > After fixing thorpej's bug and ifdef'ing out the pmap_botch message (I

Thank you, thank you.  No applause necessary :-)

 > My question is: how is emulation of binaries using the net supposed to
 > work?  They seem to fail opening /dev/tcp.  I can't find any
 > references in the mailing list archives or source code as to how to
 > set things up to fix this; I am particularly puzzled by the
 > svr4_netopen() function, which appears to address this issue directly
 > (translating a device open into a socket creation), but which also
 > appears to be referenced nowhere else in the kernel source tree.

Check out /usr/src/etc/etc.svr4 ... there you should find a SVR4_MAKEDEV
and an example netconfig file...I'm pretty sure that running SVR4_MAKEDEV
in /emul/svr4/dev and placing the netconfig file in /emul/svr4/etc will
DTRT...

Perhaps we need a compat_svr4(8) manpage, analagous to compat_linux(8).