Subject: Re: 4.4 filesystem format
To: None <windsor@synopsys.com>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/21/1995 03:46:31
> Is there a way to tell if one is using the new 4.4 filesystem format instead
> of the 4.2 filesystem format?
>
> Neil walked me through an install of -current on this Sparc 2, but I believe
> that I only used the mini-root's newfs.
>
> If I am using the 4.2 filesystem, what are the procedures to upgrade?
> I would like to go ahead and do that now before I put much on the system.

[ Other suggestions about "dumpfs", new boot blocks and "fsck -2" ]

A hopefully helpful hint:

Once you have a system up and running and you can get reliable level 0 dumps
of everything, one thing you can do to install a new system (or reinstall the
present one) is to boot from the SunOS CD-ROM, format/partition the disks,
then only newfs (from the SunOS mini-root) the NetBSD root partition.

Once you've done that, restore your NetBSD root partition backup into that
fresh partition, get your "installboot" stuff in order, and reboot single-user
mode under NetBSD with the root partition restored.  You'll get complaints et
al., but from there you can "newfs" all the remaining partitions under NetBSD
and thus get 4.4 filesystems everywhere else but the root, and the others
have suggested how to determine/deal with that singular case.

	- Greg