Subject: Re: NetBSD support SPARCprinter card?
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/20/1995 12:51:59
On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Greg Earle wrote:

> > I have access to three SPARCstation 2's at work that I'm just dying to
> > install NetBSD on.  Unfortunately, two are going to be people's desktop
> > machines (who need to run SunOS).  The remaining machine is sitting on my
> > desk and I can do whatever I want to it, with one problem:  It's hooked
> > up to a LaserJet III printer via a SPARCprinter SBus card.  The driver is
> > a SunOS loadable kernel module.  Does NetBSD (either 1.0 or -current)
> > support this kind of parallel port?  [...]  Any suggestions?
>
> There's no support for this card (specifically, the SUNW,bpp device), to my
> knowledge.
>
> Why not move the card to one of the 2 SPARCstation 2's that have to remain
> SunOS systems?

Okay, here's a silly thought.  Since the SBus is so "Plug 'n Play" and
the SPARC 20 is running Solaris (autoconfiguring kernel), I'm going to
try popping the printer card into that.  Kind of silly, since the SPARC 20
already has a parallel port, but if all goes according to plan, it will
settle in as /dev/bpp1, or in Solaris lingo:

/devices/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/SUNW,bpp@f,4800000:bpp1

:-)

> (You mean there'll be a 2nd NetBSD/SPARC system at JPL now?  Cool  (-: )
>
> 	- Greg

Hopefully..  Actually, in my section I already have a Pentium running
Linux, and another Pentium running FreeBSD.  You might say I like free
operating systems.. :-)

---Jake Hamby
 jehamby@lightside.com