Subject: Re: Up and running... now for the improvements...
To: None <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/16/1995 15:28:16
On Sat, 16 Sep 1995 17:07:55 -0400
 dgilbert@pci.on.ca wrote:

 > 	1. The cgtwo graphics board (aparently also in some Sun3's)

Could probably port the Sun 3 driver and frob it a bit to get it to work
with the slightly different indirect framebuffer glue on the sparc.
Gonna have to resolve the panic that may result from two framebuffers
trying to attach to the same `/dev/fb'.  See fbattach() (i think) for
more details.

If I had more time, I might be able to do this, having a cgtwo at work,
but I just have too many higher-priority items on my plate at the moment.

 > 	2. The scsi driver for the 'si' (so slow!) and related

It needs dvma support ... but the current `MI' 5380 driver isn't written
in a manner that makes it easy to add ... Because of the lack of dvma
support, it's completely non-interrupt driven.  (Well, at least I don't
see any interrupts happening on _my_ `si' :-)

David Jones, I believe, is working on a new (better :-) MI 5380 driver,
but I don't know how far along it is.

 > 	3. The tape driver for the stock cartridge tape in it.

Probably a problem with how the current 5380 driver deals with this
highly broken drive.  Emulex MT02 boards are quirky for me even under SunOS.
(For those who don't know, it's a Wangtek QIC-24 (or QIC-36?) drive
sitting behind an Emulex MT02 board (SCSI bridge) which is too stupid to
even report it's vendor ID correctly.)  Sun might have even had special
code to deal with it.

 > 	Now... I'd like to know a few things.  First of all if anyone
 > has some help/hints/documentation on any of these.  Secondly what are
 > people working on that involves one of these (or is close).  Thirdly
 > where and how do I send the fruits of my efforts.

If you get something to work, you can use `send-pr' to send it in.  It
gets filed into a database, and is much easier to track than just a piece
of e-mail.

 > 	One last question.  zs0 seems to have an 'a' and a 'b'
 > sub-device.  The kernel seems to detect a zs1 --- does that mean that
 > there is anoter (possibly set) of serial ports?  The back of the
 > memroy card has something that looks like a serial port.

zs0a and zs0b are the A and B serial ports on the Sun 4 (two-channel
UART).  zs1a and zs1b are the keyboard and mouse .. they are basically just
serial devices with a funky connector.

Ciao.