Subject: Re: bootstrapping a sun4m
To: None <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/06/1995 19:56:07
> From owner-port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG Wed Sep  6 15:11 PDT 1995
> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:08:43 -0400
> From: "David S. Miller" <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
> To: ams@lenkkari.cs.tut.fi
> Cc: pk@cs.few.eur.nl, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: bootstrapping a sun4m
>
>    Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 16:57:39 +0300
>    From: Aleksi Suhonen <ams@lenkkari.cs.tut.fi>
>
>    }-But the sun4m port is actively being worked on and there has been some
>    }-substantial progress over the past few months.
>
>    Out of interest ... What exactly have been proven to be the problems with
>    porting NetBSD (or mach or any other os) to sun4m?
>
> At the very least, non-availability of documentation.  Also the
> non-disclosured nature of the sun4m architecture specification
> although most of what is in there can be easily reverse engineered and
> learned through trial and error but this takes time.
>
> Later,
> David S. Miller
> davem@caip.rutgers.edu

Hum.. I've found a bunch of documentation in the public domain:

1) HyperSparc User's Guide - Ross Technology 512-892-7802 pn.
	an excellent technical guide to the SRMMU and Sparc. Arch.

2) SPARC Arch. Manual ver. 8 and ver. 9. - both are very handy
	and deal extensively with the arch.

3) Sun header files in SunOS

4) LSI Logic  L64852 MBus-to-SBus Controller Tech. Manual
	LSI Logic 408-433-8000	- talks about the MBus and SBus extensively

5) SBus Arch. Manual, SPARC International

6) MBus Arch. Manual, SPARC International

7) Past Proceedings of the HOTCHIPs symposium..

All of the above can be gotten by calling. There might be a simple charge
of $50 or so. But, that's to be understood. The above documentation
can get you going in the right direction quickly.

-brad w.