Subject: Re: kernel help
To: Pete Delaney <pete@rockymountain.rahul.net>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/01/1995 17:46:56
>    > Oh yes pulease! If you know anything about esp drivers!
>
> What's the problem with the esp driver?

Where shall I start?

* It doesn't handle disks with bad blocks well at all
* It doesn't like certain SCSI-2 disks
* It doesn't report errors well at all.

Personally, I've had problems with DAT's, large writes that just hang the
SCSI bus completly, as long as you don't need disk everything works hunky
dory, try and read from disk the process hangs but nothing is reported by
the kernel. It seems to happen on high disk activtey and also when the disk
is short of space, maybe thats just a coincidence though...

der Mouse has more on this.

Neil
--
Neil J. McRae.                                            Demon Internet
neil@demon.net