Subject: Re: kernel help
To: None <pete@rockymountain.rahul.net>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/01/1995 09:53:39
> From owner-port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG Fri Sep  1 09:41 PDT 1995
> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 06:20:12 -0700
> From: Pete Delaney <pete@RockyMountain.Rahul.Net>
> To: port-sparc@netbsd.org, Brad.Walker@corp.sun.com
> Subject: Re: kernel help
> Cc: pete@RockyMountain.Rahul.Net
>

>    > I've recently brought up NetBSD on my sparc at home. Things seem to
>    > be working great. But, I've noticed some things are missing. Things
>    > like STREAMS and other varius sundry things in the kernel.
>
> I think the SOCKET code that Sam Leffer did is a lot better, but
> for portability with stuff like dp2.3 it may be woth adding; as long
> as it's limited to tty stuff as Dennis Ritchie intended.

I've been doing some work on the dp code. Mostly simple stuff. But, that's
one of the big reasons that I was interested in the STREAMS stuff. Was
so that I could get dp up and running. I had NO interest in making it
an all inclusive framework like Sun has done...

>    >                                                            Anyways,
>    > I work at Sun on kernel issues and device drivers. I deal with SBus
>    > cards and the hardware extensively.
>
> Do you think you current exposure to Sun sources could be a legal problem.
> You may be tainted. I thing the whole subject is absurd, but I'd hate to
> go thru the BSD vs AT&T thing again.

Absolutely not. Look there are a lot of engineers at Sun who do what I'm
doing. Work on projects outside of work, simply because they are interested
in it. That's all. End of sentence. Now if I were to graft the procfs into
NetBSD and give it away then we've got problems. But, we're only talking
about working on stuff that I've done outside of Sun. Stuff like the
esp driver. I worked on it outside of Sun, when I was working at another
company..

Let's end this thread about legal problems. It's really starting to give
me a bad taste. I feel like I'm being dragged over coals.

-brad w.