Subject: Re: kernel help
To: None <bwalker@musings.com>
From: David S. Miller <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/01/1995 16:38:28
   Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 09:20:13 -0700
   From: bwalker@musings.com (Brad Walker)

   Yep, I do. I did several SBus SCSI host adapters. Also, when I was booting
   the system I noticed that the kernel did have some problems with my archive
   DAT tape drive. I`m not sure if this is related to configuration or what.
   But, from looking at the driver code there are a few spots where we bang
   on the chip at the wrong time..

Just as a point of reference I have noticed with tape drives that the
early exabytes (I have a ton of them) when the drive reaches the end
of the tape it very often sends a complete SCSI bus reset.  This seems
to confuse almost every free esp/NCR53C9x driver I've seen.  Also, the
netbsd driver doesn't seem to disable interrupts on the DMA gate array
upon IRQ entry and turn them back on at IRQ handler completion, if
you do not do this on revision 1 DMA units, you'll get bus timeouts
out the ass when you try to access the esp registers in certain
situations.  I have seen this happen with my Linux driver.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu