Subject: Re: STREAMS (was Re: kernel help)
To: Captech) <greywolf@tomcat.VAS.viewlogic.com (James Graham>
From: Larry McVoy <lm@slovax.engr.sgi.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/01/1995 13:50:37
: #:  Brad,
: #:   I want to echo what someone else said - you've got to be VERY VERY
: #: careful to clear this with your Corporate folks before starting
: #: work. Given Sun's public attitude about people producing competing
: #: OSes to SunOS/Solaris in the past, you're going to find it tough
: #: going. I know that I will have to fill out endless paperwork and
: #: grovel a lot to get permission from my company to contribute any work
: #: to NetBSD, and we don't do much OS work! I'm sure you'll have to be
: #: careful about incorporating or using proprietary information from Sun,
: #: AT&T (USL), or whoever in your work for NetBSD. If you can get
: #: permission to do this work, I'll sure be glad to have you. Sbus
: #: standards and device drivers expertise is greatly needed.

There is an easy way around this, I've found.  Tell the lawyers that you
are doing pro bono work for the NetBSD (or whatever) project and you will
suddenly find them much more willing to deal.