Subject: Re: Serial console settings
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/29/1995 19:50:27
> I'm using a Spiderport for a console on a sun4/300.
> The sun starts up sending out data without parity, but right at the
> end of the kernel startup (probably about the time init is run) it
> switches to even parity automatically.  My gettytab specifies no
> parity, so when getty is run I get my console sane again, but if I go
> into single user mode it loses :(

Not so much at the time init is run, but rather at the time that
console output switches over from calling on the PROM to using the
kernel's driver.

I really think that there is no longer any reason to use 7E instead of
8N as the default settings, if indeed there ever was.  Too many things
want 8-bit-clean data paths...especially since the PROM is doing it.
Perhaps I'll eventually get around to fixing it and generating a PR.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu