Subject: Re: Sun4? Not listed.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/29/1995 08:52:10
On Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:26:36 -0400
 David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca> wrote:

 > 	After struggling all night with SunOS 4.1.4, I'm willing to
 > consider installing NetBSD.  I have a Sun4/260 with 16 meg of RAM and
 > 600 meg of disk.  I am not too particularly interested in active
 > development, but am interested in new features, and keeping up with
 > the Joneses.

I'm running -current on a 4/260.  It works pretty well, albeit the slow
SCSI driver (no DMA yet).  I just sent in some patches for the bwtwo and
mouse drivers, so that X runs.

As for installing ... it'd be nice to support writing SunOS disklabels.
I merged Gordon's Sun 3 disklabel code into the sparc's disksubr.c, and I
can write disklabels now, too.  I sent those diffs off to Paul.
Hopefully, they'll go into the tree soon.  I also have `native' NetBSD
boot code for the Sun 4, that was ported by someone elsefrom the Sun 3 boot
code ... works for netboot and off SCSI disk on my 4/260.  I don't know the
current status of it's getting into the tree, but if you need it, I'm
certainly willing to share (it has support for DDB symbols!  :-)

In fact, if _anyone_ wants any of my sparc patches, send me a private
e-mail.  I've PR'd most of them, some were just too big and were better
just being sent to the port-master...