Subject: multiple CPU boards in VME rack?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Plite <splite@wdni.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/28/1995 15:07:58
Has anybody tried putting multiple 4300 motherboards in the same VME rack?
I have a spare 4300 I'd like to put to use in my 4/360.

There are jumpers to disable some VME bus functions on the motherboard, so is
it possible to run one board "normally" while the other only gets power from
the bus?  I was thinking of running one normally and the other diskless.
(After some possible kernel fiddling, of course.)

I know this has been done with 3/[56]0 motherboards, but they only need the
bus for power.

I don't know enough about VME and the 4300's bus interface to know whether
this is doable, electrically or otherwise.  Is it possible to map the second
4300 elsewhere in the VME address space and communicate between the boards
over the bus?  My guess is that the 4300 will always assume it is the "Lord
of the Bus" and won't be pushed around.

Failing that, does anybody have a 3- or 5-slot 9U VME chassis for sale? :)
Steven Plite  <splite@wdni.com>       Open Systems Eng. & Support, Weyerhaeuser
  "This is the roller coaster of endless and violent vomit..."   -- Jason Fox