Subject: Re: how to recover a lost S(t)unOS disklabel
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/11/1995 08:30:12
> > Am I wrong? Is there anything you can do from within NetBSD itself to
> > get a /boot and bootsd tied together correctly for openprom?
>
>   I was wondering this recently, as I found some installboot related
> source files in /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/stand but they don't get
> compiled in a full make as far as I can see - is there a reason they
> don't?   (should go in /usr/mdec I guess)

These are the netbsd sparc bootblocks, which allow you to use
new-format filesystems for / and other features.

When I last visited them (quite some time ago), they were still pretty
experimental, and did not work for my ss1+.  pk had them working on
i forget what sort of box, and mrg use[sd] them on his elc.

I just checked some of the file modification times, they're
considerably more recent than when i last tried them. If your disk is
not booting anyway, give them a try, especially if your prom version
is 2.x rather than 1.x like mine.  Otherwise, I'd suggest you make
sure you have some other way to recover (I used a second identical
disk).

--
Dan.