Subject: Re: how to recover a lost S(t)unOS disklabel
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/10/1995 12:42:11
>> At the end of installboot, you get a (warning?) that the device is
>> busy. When you try a boot at the ok prompt, you get checksum failure
>> and joy departeth toward heaven.

> Since installboot wants to write to the raw disk device you must
> first put the system in `security level' 0.  Otherwise the system
> will deny access.  The canonical way to do this is to go into single
> user mode.

There is another way to do the job in most cases.  Since you usually
want to installboot on the a partition, which begins at cylinder 0, and
the c partition also begins at cylinder 0 but isn't mounted, you can
scribble on the beginning of the c partition - which is the same disk
blocks as the beginning of the a partition - without any complaints.

I don't know whether installboot is paranoid enough to complain because
the device minors (of /boot's filesystem and the c partition) don't
match, but if it does IMO it shouldn't, or at least should have an
option to say "do it anyway".

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu