Subject: how to recover a lost S(t)unOS disklabel
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@labtam.oz.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/10/1995 09:00:12
Say you are lost in the jungles of Borneo, and accidentally smash
your original sun root/boot partition. You download installboot
from a local tribal sunos FTP server, setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
some suitable libs, and try to re-install the bootblocks.

At the end of installboot, you get a (warning?) that the device is
busy. When you try a boot at the ok prompt, you get checksum failure
and joy departeth toward heaven.

SunOS format won't from within NetBSD (low level disk stuff prevents
it finding devices) and it doesn't look like there is any other
way to interrogate the boot blocks, or create 'em.

Am I wrong? Is there anything you can do from within NetBSD itself to
get a /boot and bootsd tied together correctly for openprom?

(I did newfs -O and didn't fsck -c 2 so this should be old-style 4.3BSD
 fs format. Oh yes, its a 2-disk setup, hence I live until dawn off the
 external drive, but I'd love to get a backup root on sd0 sometime soon :-)

-George