Subject: Re: SplinterBSD (err NetBSD/sparc)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/06/1995 08:11:50
I was hoping to be able to stay out of this little rehashing of the
Theo brouhaha.  But I haven't seen anyone else reply to this thing, and
I don't feel I can let it pass unchallenged.

>> [H]ow is it that a lot of NetBSD/sparc users/developers are letting
>> a _Linux_ person get them all worked up and threatening to splinter?

> The problem is not related with David Miller being or not a Linux
> person.

True.  He's just someone who dragged the Theo de Raadt unpleasantness
out into the open again.

> David Miller and I enjoy the comments and advise that Theo has given
> us for the Sparc/Linux port and thus have realized that is not fair
> what core is doing.

Perhaps not, but after what happened, I feel that if Theo has changed
enough that it's no longer fair, it's up to him to demonstrate that to
core, rather than core to give him another chance blind.  (Based on
their (in)actions, core appears to think so too.)  As cgd said last
time around (you _have_ read the list archives on the subject, I hope),
it's hard to see how core is asking too _much_.

> Theo is a good friend and an excelent coder (the five coders in one
> that David spoke about).

He also is - or at least can be - an extremely abrasive, borderline
outright offensive, person.  Or used to be; while I have encountered
this facet of Theo at least twice myself, I have had no contact with
him recently, so he may have changed.

> It's very easy:  Core's decisions are hurting Theo, he only want's to
> get CVS access to his project again, it's easy.

Where did you get the idea that NetBSD/sparc was *his* project?  Just
because he happened to be picked as portmaster for it when it first
went into the tree, that makes it his project?

If it really is _his_ project, well, hell, what does he need anyone
else for?  Let him evolve NetBSD/sparc all he wants.  He's got the same
access to -current that the rest of the world does; he can pick up from
any point he likes and start working.  If he really was the only reason
the sparc port went anywhere, then TheoBSD/sparc will soon outstrip
NetBSD/sparc.  (I don't expect that to happen, but if it does, well,
good for everyone - users get a better system, Theo is vindicated, and
core has one port fewer on their plate.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu