Subject: Re: SplinterBSD (err NetBSD/sparc)
To: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
From: Larry McVoy <lm@slovax.engr.sgi.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/04/1995 15:00:50
: > Never mind, I'll shut up.  Maybe one little point: this is what the BSD
: > copyright gets you - nothing but flaming.
:
: larry,
:
: you can't blame the BSD copyright for this one -- this is a case of a
: few people flexing their muscles and showing their power. if the linux
: camp doesn't have these flame wars it is because it doesn't have
: people exercising control in this way.

So explain to me why the Linux people don't flex those muscles?  Could be
that the GPL makes such that the only relevent "flexing" is hacking?  It's
funny how in the Linux world respect is according pretty much where it
belongs but in the BSD world there are many examples of disconnects.
Authority where should be none, and no authority where there should be.

If you were hacking on Linux, Theo, you would get the respect you want
based on the ccode that you wrote.  End of story.

: (by the way, if there was another bsd created, i have the disk space
: -- 11G (of which i can definately dedicate... 8). the issue is cost of
: network bandwidth within calgary. perhaps it should be elsewhere).

Some recently pointed out to me that BSD is like religion - there are
the Catholics and they hate the Protestants.  And there are many little
spin off religions forming that hate everyone else.  I thought it an
apt comparison.