Subject: Re: take out the papers and the trash...
To: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/04/1995 13:23:46
In message <9508040828.AA06355@theos.com>, Theo de Raadt writes:

[Deleted]

> 	(b) continue sparc development. i'm working on another port, and
> 	    being paid to do so (no, chris, you are not the only person
> 	    paid to do full-time development, and you've known it for
> 	    months too). in a few months i'll be working on another port,
> 	    also being paid for that. the code will likely remain free in
> 	    some form, but it isn't clear what that form will be. some
> 	    people are talking about forming a new BSD, one without politics.
> 	    or at least the politics that really hurt me, and won't let up.

[Deleted]

I *like* NetBSD.  However, I am getting just a tad ticked at the
ego's that people seem to flail each other with repeatedly, time
and time again.  I like NetBSD not because it is easy to use, or
a whole lot of other reasons.  Hell, NetBSD does not even have a
decent install script, or software package management utilities.
I like NetBSD because it gives me the chance to implement some of
my own ideas.  The chance to see if my ideas are sound, or just
stupid.

Sure, you can tell me to write them myself, and contribute them.
I would.  However, why should I contribute to a flaming mass of
confusion?

There is an old saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!"
I think it goes well in this case.  Programming is an unthankfull
job at the best of times.  Why make it hard on the people that do
it well, and have no other wish but to be left alone to code and
contribute?

I don't know if the *BSD community can stand another split or
birth, but I do know that if that branch has less ego/politics
I will be part of it.  No ego/political issues may be a lofty
goal to try and reach (utopia comes to mind), but being the
dreamer I am, I believe it could be done...

Das Leben muss mann ergreifen und festhalten, sonst laeuft es
einem davon...

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |