Subject: Re: take out the papers and the trash...
To: David S. Miller <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/04/1995 23:09:19
In some email I received from David S. Miller, sie wrote:

>    From: John Stone <johns@cs.umr.edu>
>    Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 16:09:31 -0500 (CDT)
[...]
>    Maybe I should just save my voice, it didn't help last time, doubt
>    it'll make any difference this time.
>
> No the problem, is that it gets dropped on the floor when peoples
> vocal chords get tired of trying to get Core to listen to and properly
> address the problem... keep things up... make a stink, in short...
>
> 		"Save Theo and the Sparc port!"
>
> Tis' my new campaign slogan ;)

It's catchy...pity core won't listen, even though we'd like to think
they would.

Hmm, that's just what those real scumbags, err politicans, do in real
life.  What are they doing running NetBSD ? ;)

>    It'll probably stay dead unless someone finds a clone of Theo
>    that's got the same knowledge, time, and happens to be Politically
>    Correct enough for the job... :-)
>
> That's it, we need another split!  PC-Netbsd and nonPC-Netbsd, so that
> politically correct and non-politically correct people don't have to
> deal with each other.... yeah, it fixed things the last time, let's
> split again... sigh ;(

You might be right here.  How about sparc-BSD ?  Or TheBSD (Theo minus
the o :-))

If the Linux kernel wasn't such a hunk-o-junk (variable use and structure
definition is pathetic, especially since some are different for no good
reason other than to be different) I'd probably think more of using that
or FreeBSD, mainly because they APPEAR to be making real progress.  NetBSD
has done and continues to do some very cool things with the OS, but where
is it heading ?  Seems nowhere right now.

Somewhere in the past or somewhere close in the future, there should have
been/be a 1.1.  There doesn't even seem to be any goal setting within NetBSD
anymore, it just meanders along.  I can't help but wonder, does it have
a future, even if it is very neat internally ?  I send stuff off using
send-pr, not to hear back for days/weeks.  I appreciate this might be
due to people just being extra busy, but if this is so, why not get more
people with access to the source tree and stop treating it like some
holy item which you can't touch unless blessed by `god' ?

darren