Subject: take out the papers and the trash...
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David S. Miller <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/03/1995 13:37:06
	Well well well, this list gets quieter and quieter every
week.  It seems to me that around the end of last year, it was
impossible to keep up with what was going on here... sun4c support
today, sun4/300 tomorrow, sun4/100 next week and bug fixes during the
whole period.  Now we can't even figure out why the ESP driver is
crapping out on SCSI1 devices on old sun4c's.... ugh pathetic...

	And I will tell you there is one and only one reason why I
completely consider the netbsd sparc port to be 'dead', yes 'dead'.
It is due the fact that Theo does not partake in the development
anymore.

	Personally I find this foolish, the whole ordeal, and that
this port will continue to be *dead* until things are worked out with
Theo, the current set of people (if any) working on the Sparc code
right now cannot do it without Theo, at least not to the extent I am
speaking of (stay up for two days, Xbus support, that kind of
development).  So much for that sun4m support, although I'm sure
people will get some of it going some time soon.

	I want to publicly ask the people in Core to work things out
with Theo and *fix* this.  This port has been masacred by what
transpired, and will continue to do so until things a re-negotiated.

	Just remember, I'm not porting Linux to the Sparc because I
think Linus is a real nice guy (although he is).  And I have to use
SunOS every day, although I bet I'd hate the friggin guts out of some
of Sun's kernel engineers, maybe some of them would spit in my face
once I got to know them (or they got to know me).  Big deal.  Does not
erase the fact that they move the code forward.  I never saw any code
written by politics that I could ever stand.

	Many of you may be asking, why is this Linux idiot coming on
here and vouching for Theo to get back into things.  I have nothing
but the utmost respect for Theo, and his capabilities/dedication, and
it completely drove me nuts when he lost his life line.  To have put
so much into this port, and end up in his scenerio, is quite
frightening to me.  Sorry, no one deserves this treatment.

	So while you guys are still dorking around with queue-heads in
the net code, which helps *no-one*, and this port remains stagnant.  I
will happily be getting Linux up on my quad-HyperSparc SS20's, sun4d's,
SC2000's, and the Sunfire Ultrasparc pre-test boxes I am receiving
September 1st.  Have fun kids, you've really solved the problem you
thought you had with Theo, progress progress progress, that is what
NetBSD is all about these days...  Linux Alpha port seems to be doing
quite well too these days... hmmm... perhaps this is not an isolated
problem with NetBSD...