Subject: Re: take out the papers and the trash...
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
From: Captech) <greywolf@tomcat.VAS.viewlogic.com (James Graham>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/03/1995 12:56:33
Sorry to quote most of what David Miller wrote, but I must agree.
The whole thing that transpired totally transcends foolish and goes right
into downright stupid.

NetBSD wasn't supposed to be about attitudes, it was supposed to be about
putting a port on a bunch of machines.  Something got out of hand
and misappropriated and mistreated, and now we have Theo sitting out
there in La-La land waiting for a line back in.

I would implore that whomever in core is keeping him out to re-evaluate
the situation.  I hear rumours floating around that supposedly this kind
of thing is in progress, but that one of the core members might be hurt
by letting Theo back in.  I find this amazingly hard to believe, and I
strongly disagree with the rationale contained therein (which appears
to be nil).

While I've gotten a few snarls back from Theo on occasion, I've found
his expertise to be more competent than most, and he helped me get my
ELC up and running in the early stages of the game.

Please don't sacrifice quality for the sake of some ego, and I don't care
*how* you want to justify it and prove that it isn't ego at all, because
it is.  If you're not doing work for whatever reason, it's either software
logistics, hardware logistics or ego getting in your way.

Point:  Far off, but still, many software houses refused to put improvements
into code not because they didn't work, but because they were "Not Invented
Here" (thus began the order of the Knights Who Say "NIH!").  Was it a hard-
ware or software problem?  NO!  It was all ego.  "We don't want it because
some lowly peon somewhere else invented it and could show us up."

So what's the point?  Theo seemed more than willing to make amends for what
he had done.  He was bypassing *his* _ego_ for sake of _work_ on the project.

I would strongly recommend that core do the same.  I'd hate to see
the SPARC port die.

Your local friendly rabble-rouser and underdog supporter,

					--*greywolf;

#: 	Well well well, this list gets quieter and quieter every
#: week.  It seems to me that around the end of last year, it was
#: impossible to keep up with what was going on here... sun4c support
#: today, sun4/300 tomorrow, sun4/100 next week and bug fixes during the
#: whole period.  Now we can't even figure out why the ESP driver is
#: crapping out on SCSI1 devices on old sun4c's.... ugh pathetic...
#:
#: 	And I will tell you there is one and only one reason why I
#: completely consider the netbsd sparc port to be 'dead', yes 'dead'.
#: It is due the fact that Theo does not partake in the development
#: anymore.
#:
#: 	Personally I find this foolish, the whole ordeal, and that
#: this port will continue to be *dead* until things are worked out with
#: Theo, the current set of people (if any) working on the Sparc code
#: right now cannot do it without Theo, at least not to the extent I am
#: speaking of (stay up for two days, Xbus support, that kind of
#: development).  So much for that sun4m support, although I'm sure
#: people will get some of it going some time soon.
#:
#: 	I want to publicly ask the people in Core to work things out
#: with Theo and *fix* this.  This port has been masacred by what
#: transpired, and will continue to do so until things a re-negotiated.
#:
#: 	Just remember, I'm not porting Linux to the Sparc because I
#: think Linus is a real nice guy (although he is).  And I have to use
#: SunOS every day, although I bet I'd hate the friggin guts out of some
#: of Sun's kernel engineers, maybe some of them would spit in my face
#: once I got to know them (or they got to know me).  Big deal.  Does not
#: erase the fact that they move the code forward.  I never saw any code
#: written by politics that I could ever stand.
#:
#: 	Many of you may be asking, why is this Linux idiot coming on
#: here and vouching for Theo to get back into things.  I have nothing
#: but the utmost respect for Theo, and his capabilities/dedication, and
#: it completely drove me nuts when he lost his life line.  To have put
#: so much into this port, and end up in his scenerio, is quite
#: frightening to me.  Sorry, no one deserves this treatment.
#:
#: 	So while you guys are still dorking around with queue-heads in
#: the net code, which helps *no-one*, and this port remains stagnant.  I
#: will happily be getting Linux up on my quad-HyperSparc SS20's, sun4d's,
#: SC2000's, and the Sunfire Ultrasparc pre-test boxes I am receiving
#: September 1st.  Have fun kids, you've really solved the problem you
#: thought you had with Theo, progress progress progress, that is what
#: NetBSD is all about these days...  Linux Alpha port seems to be doing
#: quite well too these days... hmmm... perhaps this is not an isolated
#: problem with NetBSD...
#:
#: David S. Miller           davem@caip.rutgers.edu
#: CAIP Research Center      Chief Architect: SparcLinux and SMP Projects
#: Rutgers University        Linux Mailinglist Maintainer
#: