Subject: Re: What to install from?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, bwal@nlu.nl.edu>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/12/1995 19:00:20
> In the next couple of weeks I'll be getting a SS1+ and I'm going to
> install NetBSD/sparc on it.  I'm wondering a couple of things;
> should I install from the binaries in the NetBSD-current dir on
> ftp.netbsd.org (I just ftp'ed the snapshot binary file) or from
> the 1.0 binaries?

The -current snapshot is probably fine. It certainly makes it easier to
track -current from there on.

A major snag to watch out for is the -current scsi driver on machines like
SS1, which doesn't handle SCSI 2 disks very well.

> Also, the X11R6 distrib with NetBSD-current is corrupted - I can't
> gzip -d the tar.gz file... has anyone else seen this?  Is there anywhere
> other than ftp.netbsd.org that I might try to get a working one?

Last I heard, someone was building a fresh copy that can replace the
apparently corrputed one on the ftp sites. Maybe I'll just bundle up
the installed version on my machine (it has been working fine for months).

-pk