Subject: Re: What to install from?
To: Ben Walters <bwal@nlu.nl.edu>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/12/1995 15:38:07

> Hi,
>
> In the next couple of weeks I'll be getting a SS1+ and I'm going to
> install NetBSD/sparc on it.  I'm wondering a couple of things;
> should I install from the binaries in the NetBSD-current dir on
> ftp.netbsd.org (I just ftp'ed the snapshot binary file) or from
> the 1.0 binaries?

Use the snapshot it's stable, one thing I found is that unless boot-file is
set to netbsd it will panic as it offers the choice of root and swap
disks. Beats me why.

> Also, the X11R6 distrib with NetBSD-current is corrupted - I can't
> gzip -d the tar.gz file... has anyone else seen this?  Is there anywhere
> other than ftp.netbsd.org that I might try to get a working one?S

Get the full source tree and apply mrg's patch, Matthew where is it again?
:)

> Ben (who is excited at the prospect of *finally* getting a sparc of his
> own to play with ;-)

yeah it rocks!

Some advice, if you have access to a machine that you can setup
as an nfs server, do that, it is far simpler to install netbsd/sparc this
way, install mini root and mount the partition with the tars on it. It
saves mucho hairo :) You can put statical;ly linked binaries in this
directory, like gzip, more, df ... and use them to aid the install.

Regards,
Neil.

--
Neil J. McRae.                                       Demon Internet
neil@demon.net