Subject: Re: A new user's comments, part 2
To: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/1995 11:50:48
>  -- One of my disks is an old Maxtor LXT-213S that apparently doesn't
>     understand the LUN concept.  The -current kernel thinks it's eight drives,
>     one at each LUN.  Fortunately, this didn't get in my way too badly -- it
>     did push one of my other drives up to `sd10', after which I was not able
>     to mount it (`mount', oddly, complained that the directory I was trying to
>     mount on did not exist, when it clearly did) -- but there was nothing on
>     that drive I needed immediately.  However this could screw somebody else
>     trying to install this kernel... seems like another reason why the
>     distributed kernel should have hardwired SunOS SCSI mappings.

	You want to patch /sys/scsi/scsiconf.c

	Add a line to the table something like

        {T_DIRECT, T_FIXED,
         "MAXTOR  ", "LXT-213S        ", "",     SDEV_NOLUNS},

	There is already an entry for

        {T_DIRECT, T_FIXED,
         "MAXTOR  ", "LXT-213S SUN0207", "",     SDEV_NOLUNS},

	hmm.. wonder why it has " SUN0207" on the end - maybe if you label
	your disk "SUN0207" it will work ok?

>  -- Another requirement for running many SunOS binaries is to symlink
>     `/etc/termcap' and `/usr/lib/termcap' to `/usr/share/misc/termcap' (I
>     don't really know that both links are necessary; I just made them both.)

	Isn't the 2nd one /usr/share/lib/termcap?

>  -- The SunOS `tcsh' sorta half-worked, but had big trouble with signals.  I
>     succeeded in rebuilding it, but to do so I had to bring over the SunOS
>     `vfork.h' -- no such file seems to exist in NetBSD.  Shouldn't it be
>     there?

	Just comment out the include for vfork.h and all if fine - I submitted
	a patch to the owner for this a little while back.

D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME)  +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master   (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
  --- Bite and I'll bite back until one of us lies dead and bleeding ---