Subject: Re: theo's changes
To: Derrick J. Brashear <db74+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/26/1995 14:25:12
>Oh, and good luck actually prosecuting such a "copyright violation". I
>never saw any of the messages to which you refer, as a sender or a
>recipient, but this furtive behavior is very petty and is increasingly
>pushing me towards simply forgetting NetBSD... and I'm sure I'm not the
>only one.

While I do think that putting a copyright notice in your mail is kinda petty,
I think that doing so is a non-sequiter - I can't imagine that stopping anyone
for a second if they were the sort of person who would forward private e-mail
without asking, and of course you'd have one hell of a time trying to
prosecute people for doing so.  I don't see anything *wrong* with it, but
I don't see it really affecting anything one way or the other.  But I digress.

>I really don't understand what there is to hide, and I'd bet that
>everyone airing their dirty laundry and getting it over with would help
>heal whatever's ailing...

As someone who witnessed the Net/Free namecalling festival way back when, I
feel secure in saying that airing your dirty laundry doesn't necessarily help
anything, and can sometimes lead to more problems.

There are obviously two sides to this issue.  Without seeing every piece of
e-mail that was exchanged between everybody involved, it's impossible to make
a judgement as to what really happened, and who's right or wrong.  I think that
at some point you just have to forgive and forget (assuming that everyone's
willing to do that, of course).

Has the discussion on port-sparc really helped anything?  I don't think so -
we've seen two very different sides, and the only thing this has done has
causes people to send in more angry e-mail defending themselves, and that
sort of thing just feeds on itself.

--Ken