Subject: Re: SQEC sbus quad ethernet controller?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/21/1995 18:27:07
> 4x	AM79C940AKC,3508MHR

if someone with hardware in front of them wants to, perhaps we can
make this work. start by calling AMD at 800-222-9323; the book you
want is "Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 Family". if you talk technical, they
will send the manual to you free. it describes the MACE. the
book's description makes it seem really complicated, but a sample
driver i have makes it look dead easy. (BTW, it is a bit like a
DMA-driven "if_ep.c" -- is your skin crawling yet?)

> 2x	CY7B174,-14JC 9352,CYP 006182
> 1x	NCR 0391112,SUN 100-3722-01,GR02009,N9404

i don't know what either of these are. That said, there has to be a
DMA controller of some sort on the board -- (as you said) most likely
the NCr chip. someone is going to have to talk to Sun or NCR to find
out how it works -- this will be the hardest part.

CY is cyprus probably, so someone could call them and ask them what
that chip is, too. i suspect it is a memory, and that the dma
controller only DMA's from/to on-card memory. but we'll see.

> 1x	AM27C256,-200JC,409CK6V

this last one is probably just the ROM used by openboot. if you have a
new enough machine you can use the rom commands "cd", "ls", and
".attributes" to snoop around and see what kinds of things the card
advertises. older versions of the rom lack these commands.

ps. i've not used those commands for a while (my machine lacks them), so
I might have gotten something wrong with their names...

> > single-port sbus ethernet cards do work. but I don't know if the combined
> > ethernet/scsi sbus cards will work.
> If I can get one to try I'll let you know.

thanks -- use my test kernels to see if it works. if it doesn't work,
use private mail to me and i'll try to fix things so that it works.