Subject: Re: SQEC sbus quad ethernet controller?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/19/1995 14:41:44
> le0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0xc00000 pri 5: hardware address 08:00:20:10:1d:55
> qec at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0x20000 not configured
> bf at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x0 not configured

> qec is the quad ethernet card

i don't know what chips this uses. it is not likely to be a lance-like
chip -- try to send me mail describing the chips on it. or if someone
knows for sure...

> The card in slot 2 is actually an fddi adapter...

there are two Sun FDDI products -- vme and sbus. if I remember
correctly, the vme card had a 68020 on it, and ran firmware that was
smart enough to do the smit. this is quite similar to DEC's fddi cards
-- they are "smart cards". I think the sbus fddi card is a dumb card,
and smit has to be done in the device driver. I never found out for
sure, though. There is at least one driver in the free software world
for a smart fddi card. It is likely to be a long time before we get
any support for any dumb cards.

By the way:

le0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0xc00000 pri 5: hardware address 08:00:20:0a:66:45
le1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0xc00000 pri 5: hardware address 08:00:20:0a:66:45

single-port sbus ethernet cards do work. but I don't know if the combined
ethernet/scsi sbus cards will work.