Subject: Re: 82077 chips on sun4c.
To: None <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/17/1995 17:07:09
>> I don't know if Sun ever built a sun4c with a 82077 floppy chip,
>
> The machine I'm playing with NetBSD/sparc on is a real Sun IPC ... though I
> admit I don't know whether Sun built it or OEMed it.  It does have the Sun
> logo and a label saying "SPARCstation IPC" (with the cutsie lightning-bolt A
> in SPARC) on the front.

IPCs and Sun-built sun4c machines in general have 82072 floppies.

> And the -current fd driver (without the recent patches) says it's got an
> 82077.  I haven't opened the box to see whether it's telling the truth.

The -current driver is wrong.  :-)

I don't believe any Sun-built system contained an 82077-based floppy until the
SPARCstation-10 came along.

Support for the 82077 first appeared in a special patch that was available on
the 4.1.3 CD-ROM, in the tar file patches/sunos_4_1_3/patch_fdc82077 on the
first slice (sun4c) of the disc.  Here's the README from that patch file, which
shows that it was actually a trial patch (100487-01) that for some strange
reason never got issued as a formal finalized patch.  (Also, the COPYRIGHT file
that comes with it says "Solaris(TM) 1.0.1 Patch ID: T100487-01" and the fd.o
sccs i.d. is consistent with the SunOS 4.1.2 fd.o.  I don't have a 4.1.2 CD-ROM
handy so I can't check to see if this patch_fdc82077 file was on it or not.)

Patch-ID# T100487-01
Date: 6/Jun/92

SunOS release: 4.1.3

Unbundled Product:

Unbundled Release:

Topic: Floppy Disk Controller patch

BugId's fixed with this patch:

Architectures for which this patch is available: sun4c

Patches which may conflict with this patch:

Obsoleted by:

Files included with this patch: fd.o, fd_asm.o

Problem Description:

Solaris 1.1 should support the Intel 82077 chip as an alternate floppy disk
controller chip, in addition to the standard 82072.  Note that this patch may
require some PROM support to work properly with the 82077 chip.

INSTALL:

After you install Solaris 1.1, run the extract_patch program and enter "yes"
when you are prompted if you want to run the install script.  extract_patch
will run the script for you.  When the script is complete, you should reboot
the system with the new configured kernel.

Alternately, you can install this patch manually as follows.

As root make a backup copy of the old files:

mv /sys/sun4c/OBJ/fd.o.o        /sys/sun4c/OBJ/fd.o.ORIG
mv /sys/sun4c/OBJ/fd_asm.o      /sys/sun4c/OBJ/fd_asm.o.ORIG

Now install the new kernel patch modules:

mv  fd.o fd_asm.o  /sys/sun4c/OBJ

Configure a new kernel, install and reboot
cd /sys/sun4c/conf

> And certainly under SunOS, arch -k says it's a sun4c.

The way to see what is going on in SunOS is to enable the SunOS kernel
variables "fderrlevel" and "fderrmask".  "fderrlevel" is set to "3" by default,
which basically means "only log critical errors".  Setting it to "0" opens the
floodgates.  "fderrmask" is a mask - default set to 0xffffffff - that allows
one to mask off only a particular set of routines in the SunOS floppy driver
that one wishes to see fderrlevel-enabled messages from.  For example, the mask
value for "fdattach" is "0x00000001". "fdintr" is "0x00000800".  "fdstrategy"
is "0x00000020".  And so on ...

	- Greg