Subject: Watchdog resets and "go 0" from "machine prom"
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/17/1995 17:28:49
I had written:

>> P.P.S. I still get random once-in-a-while Watchdog Reset crashes on my IPC.
>>        They never happened under SunOS; I am the only person who ever gets
>>        a Watchdog Reset crash under NetBSD/SPARC, too?

Theo mention that he'd

> Never seen one, ever.

An interesting thing happened yesterday.

I've seen this a couple of times before: I downloaded several really big files
(AVI animations & such; typically 2 Mb to 6-7 Mb each) into /var/tmp.  After
I'd viewed them, I tried to delete them via "rm *.avi".  Well, that command
hung; the files were removed (as I discovered later), but I never got my shell
prompt back.  Slowly but surely all my other extant shells hung as well, after
this.  (This has happened on more than one occasion, trying to delete a bunch
o' bigbig files all at once.)

Anyway, this pretty much wedged the machine, so I gave up and hit L1-A.  At
the ddb> prompt, I did a "machine prom" and dropped to the OpenBoot prompt.

At the "ok " prompt I then did something I haven't done before, pretty much
just for fun - a "go 0".

Watchdog reset!

That made me wonder: is there any chance that my "Watchdog reset" crashes are
in reality a possible 1.0 kernel bug that causes an effective "call 0" or
"jmp 0" or something similar to be executed?

	- Greg