Subject: Re: -current sparc problems
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@theos.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/17/1995 11:58:19
> > In the meantime, put your disk at scsi unit 3.  That's where it has
> > always needed to be for NetBSD to work, after all, unless you are
> > running a hacked config.
>
> I must be missing something here.  Every kernel I've built, unless I've
> specifically forced sd0 to be target 3, has put sd0 on the lowest-ID
> disk on the chain.

you told the rom to boot from /sbus/esp/sd@1,0. so it takes that value
"1", which is a scsi target number, runs it though the CRAZYMAP()
macro, which makes it think you want to boot from "sd1". It does not
see an sd1, so it fails.

it's easy to describe the problem, but much more difficult to fix it;
at the same time I want to fix it for xd and floppy disks.

> Or does "hacked config" here refer to anything that doesn't specify
> "swap generic"?  I find that "config netbsd root on sd0a swap on sd0b"
> works just fine with sd0 at ID 1 and sd1 at ID 3, with -current kernel
> sources (well, -current as of a week or so ago).

it is only a serious problem for 'swap generic' configurations, since
such configurations interpret the bootrom bootpath to figure out where
the root should be placed. the CRAZYMAP() macro does not realistically
match the relationship between the scsi target number and sd? number.

obviously if you tell it that the disk is sd0, it is going to go to
sd0 and ignore the bootrom path.