Subject: Re: panic: DMAWAIT1
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/1995 12:01:34
Hi,

on Tue, 16 May 1995 00:25:00 +0200 der Mouse wrote
concerning "panic: DMAWAIT1" something like this:

> That upgrade from 1.0 to -current now seems to be complete; I have a
> system that is capable of rebuilding itself successfully.  There's only
> one minor fly in the ointment: every time I halt the system, I get

> 	syncing disks... CSR = 80001118
> 	panic: DMAWAIT1
> 	Stopped at      0xf80d4b2c:     jmpl            [%o7 + 0x8], %g0
>	db>

Oh, I thought I was the only one seeing this problem due to my old and
slow ss1. This small patch solved the problem, but I have no idea whether
it is correct.

diff -c -r1.1.1.2 dma.c
*** 1.1.1.2     1995/04/03 18:31:33
--- dma.c       1995/05/08 16:53:07
***************
*** 276,282 ****
        /* load the count in */
        ESPCMD(sc->sc_esp, ESPCMD_NOP|ESPCMD_DMA);

!       DMAWAIT1(sc);

        /* clear errors and D_TC flag */
        DMACSR(sc) |= D_INVALIDATE;
--- 276,282 ----
        /* load the count in */
        ESPCMD(sc->sc_esp, ESPCMD_NOP|ESPCMD_DMA);

!       /* DMAWAIT1(sc); ### */

        /* clear errors and D_TC flag */
        DMACSR(sc) |= D_INVALIDATE;

> Last time I
> tried for a kernel coredump with the modern scsi subsystem, it said
> sddump() wasn't implemented....

Remove the #undef SCSIDUMP from sd.c, but I guess there is a good reason
why it's in there (I guess it could trash your disk's data) ;))

Bye, Rolf