Subject: Floppy driver for Sun IPX
To: None <pk@NetBSD.ORG, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Eriksson T/BN <Michael.Eriksson@era-t.ericsson.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/1995 11:40:13
I'm running NetBSD 1.0A on a Sun IPX with 32 MByte of RAM. I just
updated to the latest kernel tar-file (from May 13).

I've added the following lines to my kernel configuration file to get
floppy support:

fdc0	at mainbus0
fd*	at fdc0

When I try to boot the new kernel, it hangs after printing:

fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 Hmmm..  pri 11, softpri 4: chip 82077

If I remove the floppy lines from the kernel configuration file, I can
build a kernel which boots without any problems.

Any ideas about what the problem is?

For reference, here my complete kernel configuration file:

# Kernel for sun4c with root and swap on SCSI disk (sd0)

machine		sparc
options		"SUN4C"
maxusers	32

# obsolete timezone spec
options		TIMEZONE=0, DST=0

# Standard system options
options		SWAPPAGER, VNODEPAGER, DEVPAGER	# paging
#options	DEBUG, DIAGNOSTIC # extra kernel debugging
options		KTRACE		# system call tracing support
#options	KGDB		# support for kernel gdb
#options	KGDBDEV=0xc01, KGDBRATE=38400 # device & baud rate
options		RCONSOLE	# fast rasterop console
options		SYSVMSG,SYSVSEM,SYSVSHM # SysV IPC
options		COMPAT_10	# compatibility with NetBSD 1.0
options		DDB		# in-kernel debugger
options		LKM		# loadable kernel modules

# Filesystem options
options		FFS		# BSD fast filesystem
options		NFSSERVER	# Sun NFS-compatible filesystem
options		NFSCLIENT	# Sun NFS-compatible filesystem
options		KERNFS		# kernel data-structure filesystem
#options	FIFO		# POSIX fifo support (in all filesystems)
#options	QUOTA		# fast filesystem with user and group quotas
options		MFS		# memory-based filesystem
options		LOFS		# Loop-back filesystem
options		FDESC		# user file descriptor filesystem
#options	UMAPFS		# uid/gid remapping filesystem
#options	LFS		# Log-based filesystem (still experimental)
#options	PORTAL		# portal filesystem (still experimental)
options		PROCFS		# /proc filesystem
options		CD9660		# ISO 9660 + Rock Ridge file system

# Networking options
options		INET		# basic TCP/IP
options		TCP_COMPAT_42	# compatibility with 4.2BSD TCP/IP
options		COMPAT_43	# 4.3BSD compatibility
#options	GATEWAY		# IP packet forwarding
#options	ISO		# OSI networking
#options	TPIP		# OSI
#options	EON		# OSI tunneling over IP

# Options for sparc hardware
options		COMPAT_SUNOS	# compatibility with SunOS binaries

config		netbsd	root on sd0 swap on sd0

mainbus0 at root
cpu0	at mainbus0

sbus0	at mainbus0