Subject: almost diskless booting [Was: 4/200]
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sebastian Strollo <seb@erix.ericsson.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/12/1995 17:21:24
Hi
I have a SS1+ that I would like to boot from our server (running
SunOS). The thing is I would like the root partition on the server,
but I want to swap to my local disk. So I have a kernel with:

config          netbsd  root on  nfs swap on sd0 and sd1 and sd2 and sd3

and on the server a have (as Chuck Cranor pointed out is needed) in
/etc/bootparams:

absolut  root=super:/export/root/absolut\
         swap=super:/export/swap/absolut

And when it comes up it actually seems to swap on sd0b (reported by
pstat -s) as I wanted. But! can I get away without having the
swap=... line above? I tried swap=/dev/sd0b but that didn't work. Any
ideas? If it actually is swapping on sd0b with this setup I guess it
is no big deal, but it would be nice not to need the swap file on the
server in order for it to boot. Oh yes, I am running NetBSD-1.0

regards,
/Sebastian