Subject: Re: 4/200
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/12/1995 06:43:31
One person says
> Actually, it sounds as though you need to set the eeprom correctly
> for monitor type.  It's *so* long since I worked with one of these
> old-mode monitors.  You can do it from the monitor with a cryptic
> command like 'q88=2' or somesuch.

Another says
> That's the ticket.  Change the eeprom to indicate that it should use
> the colour display.  I think the file is /usr/include/mon/eeprom.h,
> or something similar, in SunOS, that defines the eeprom layout.  I
> seem to remember 0x1e being the address, but I'm probably wrong.

I haven't had occasion to use an old-style SPARC monitor recently.  But
on the Sun-3, the address is 0x1f ("q1f" to the monitor), and the (hex)
values are, according to the SunOS 3.5 version of that file (the path
is correct),

	00	bw console
	10	ttya
	11	ttya
	12	color console
	20	P4 console (whatever P4 is)

Of course, I don't know whether this matches _your_ eeprom's layout and
values.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu