Subject: 4/200
To: None <fork@netcom.com>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/11/1995 10:54:14
>Then i got Chuck's email, and I downloaded his kernel, and that booted past that point.. however it got stuck somewhere else. here is an excerpt:

>vmel0 at mainbus0
>vmes0 at mainbus0
>nfs_boot: using network interface 'ie0'
>ie0: TDR detected an open 17408 clocks away
>nfs_boot: client_addr=0xc0000204
>nfs_boot: server_addr=0xc0000201
>nfs_boot: hostname=sun4
>root on server:/var/sparc
>RPC timeout for server 0xc0000201

>and this last msg about the RPC timeout repeats forever..

this is part of the NFS diskless boot stuff.    You need to check
to make sure that your server is exporting the right stuff.   First,
you should have entries for both "root" and "swap" in your /etc/bootparams.
For example:

vme147  root=dworkin:/export/root/vme147\
        swap=dworkin:/export/swap/vme147

Second, you should check that /export/root/vme147 and /export/swap/vme147
are there and are exported properly [e.g. in /etc/exports, and exportfs'd
if needed].    Here is what the boot should look like in that area:

vmes0 at mainbus0
nfs_boot: using network interface 'ie0'
ie0: TDR detected an open 13568 clocks away
nfs_boot: client_addr=0x80fca93a
ie0: TDR detected an open 512 clocks away
nfs_boot: server_addr=0x80fca902
nfs_boot: hostname=ccrc200
root on dworkin:/export/root/ccrc200
swap on dworkin:/export/swap/ccrc200
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

so it looks like it is either stuck finishing with mounting root, or
stuck finding out the location of swap from bootparamd.

cheers,
Chuck