Subject: sparc snapshot
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/09/1995 11:40:48
Okay, now I'm certain of it.  There is something serious wrong with the
SPARC binary snapshot kernel of January 9th (on ftp.netbsd.org,
/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/snapshot/netbsd.root_on_sd0.gz).

As anyone paying attention to port-sparc knows by now, I'm trying to
move from 1.0 to -current.  I've been working with a second disk, onto
which I unpacked the snapshot.  I've occasionally seen peculiar things
like what I quoted a while ago on port-sparc.  But today I booted
(single-user), fscked everything, and mounted it.  I then typed
"su mouse" to get my shell and path and such; I got a complaint about
"HOME=/home/mouse" being something invalid, an invalid command I think.
So I exited the shell su started and tried it again.  Same result.  So
I typed halt, and rebooted.  Upon reboot, I got "No ld.so" after
pressing RETURN for sh.  Investigation revealed that something had
tromped all over a couple of inode-area disk blocks, destroying (among
other things) /usr/libexec.  (fsck reported things like
OWNER=1161637736 and SIZE=4989196087788922212, and a bunch of unknown
inode types.)

A little work with clri and fsck put the filesystem back together.  I
am now trying to build a -current kernel by using chroot to work on the
-current disk while booted from a 1.0 kernel.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu