Subject: Re: -current sparc problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/09/1995 21:37:00
Yesterday, I wrote

> It's me again, still trying to move from 1.0 to -current.  [...]

> fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 Hmmm..  pri 11, softpri 4: chip 82077
> panic: boot device not known

Well, I looked at the source that generated the panic, and based on
reading that, I configured a kernel with "root on sd0a swap on sd0b"
instead of "swap generic", and it works fine.  I received a private
note saying that the problem will be addressed soon, so I'm going to
just not use "swap generic" until it's fixed.  (I suppose I should
send-pr it to make sure it doesn't fall between the cracks; if I
remember I'll do that after this letter.)

I received at least two messages saying that the hang was probably due
to having configured a floppy.  I took out the fdc0 an fd* lines from
the config file, and, well, I don't know whether that's what did it,
but it's not hanging any more :-)

When I left work, the machine was chugging away at "make build"; if (as
I expect) that completes fine, I'll do one more kernel rebuild and then
consider the upgrade to -current as successful if all works.

This will mean I'll have a -current sparc kernel, pretty generic,
built.  Would it be worthwhile for me to make this kernel generally
available, since the one in the binary snapshot area is at least
somewhat broken (as I indicated in my recent note)?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu