Subject: -current sparc problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/08/1995 13:01:37
It's me again, still trying to move from 1.0 to -current.  This time, I
got everything set up on the second disk, booted single-user, did "make
build" in /usr/src, then configured the GENERIC sparc kernel, and
booted it.  came up with the usual device probe messages, ending with

fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 Hmmm..  pri 11, softpri 4: chip 82077

It then hung for a long moment, spewed a traceback on the screen, and
rebooted.  Except this is a IPC, and rebooting involves a machine
reset, so I couldn't read the panic message I assume was present.  So I
added "options DDB" to GENERIC, reconfigured, rebuilt, and rebooted.  I
actually specified -ds as boot options, recalling that someone had said
that -d made it stop very early in DDB.  I did get a message to the
effect that kernel was not compiled with KGDB, which was true but not
relevant - or does -d work only if you build with KGDB as well as DDB?

In any case, the panic proved to be "panic: boot device not known".
This is somewhat confusing, because the disk I'm booting from does show
up on the messages.

I told the PROM "boot /sbus/esp/sd@1,0 netbsd -ds".  Among the device
probe messages, I see the following:

sbus0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf8000000: clock = 25 MHz
esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 pri 3: ESP100 25Mhz, target 7
scsibus0 at esp0
esp0 targ 1 lun 0: <FUJITSU, M2263S-512, 0194> SCSI1 0/direct fixed
sd0 at scsibus0: 642MB, 1658 cyl, 15 head, 512 bytes/sec

That's the boot disk, alright.  Problem one: why does it think that
device is "not known"?

Problem two: when it stopped in ddb, I typed "trace" at the db> prompt.
It printed "?(1be4, b00, 0, 0, 0, 92) at" and hung.  L1-A has no
effect.

Am I doing something stupid, or did I just pick up a broken set of
kernel sources?  I'm going to come back up from the other disk and
re-sup, to freshen the sources, and try again...and if still no joy,
well, I suppose I'll start looking for the "boot device not known"
message in the source and see if I can see why it's getting upset.

More details available on request.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu