Subject: Re: 4/X00 support from theo (Was: Sparc 20 ?)
To: None <miguel@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/20/1995 20:15:47
       [...] to the people that want Theo back on the developement of
       NetBSD, [...]

I think that sums up the misunderstanding here.  We have *no*
objection to Theo contributing to NetBSD.  We never have.  We were
quite explicit about this in our contact with Theo.  The only person
who needs to decide whether and how Theo will contribute to NetBSD is
Theo himself.

       From a couple a messages I received to my request of knowing why
       the NetBSD core team did not let Theo had access to the CVS tree,
       it seems like the core team of the NetBSD took the decision of
       leaving Theo out of the developement group because he was being
       rude with other people related to NetBSD and because it was
       "damaging to the project" in terms of social relationships.

1) He is explicitly *not* excluded from the `development group'.  The
way most people contribute to the project is by sending changes to the
`maintainer' of the code they've worked on, or submitting them with
`send-pr', and he's welcome to do the same.

2) Our action (which was actually several months ago) had nothing to
do with `social relationships'.

       The free software world is already too fragmented to lose a good
       programmer just because he was not nice with other people (and as
       I understand Theo was being bothered constantly by the user that
       complained about the rudeness of Theo).

3) It was not a single user, or a single incident, and it occured over
a long period of time.

       If you don't want Theo as an official
       speaker of the NetBSD team, it's should be ok for most people on
       this list, just gave him access to the source tree.

4) He does have access to the source tree, in the same way as most
other contributors.

I think it's reasonably clear that only people in the `core' group
know the details of this, and we consider much of the information to
be confidential.