Subject: Re: 4/X00 support from theo (Was: Sparc 20 ?)
To: John Stone <johns@cs.umr.edu>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/20/1995 22:22:07
	I'd just like to thank Theo for the work he has done on the 4/X00
	port, as I have a 4/300 in user service thanks to the time he
	spent in debugging a kernel for me.

	It would obviously be much better to have that SCSI code into the
	-current tree so I could configure up my own kernels & properly
	track -current, and I guess I have to add another bewildered voice
	to those asking why theo isn't able to commit his code.

	I'm no doubt sticking my nose in where I'm not wanted here, but the
	bottom line is - I really think NetBSD is something
	special giving real BSD on so many platforms, and I like
	seeing it getting better all the time. Theo has done a lot of work
	on the 4/X00 stuff, and although I'll probably never even see a
	4/110 (again) I'd like to see all its changes & everything else
	put in to NetBSD to keep making it better.

	The NetBSD & FreeBSD seem irrevocably split for a reason many of
	us don't know,  which was bad enough for BSD, but if NetBSD is
	losing people like Theo (How many people like Theo are they around
	to work on NetBSD anyway), I guess I'm just as frustrated as a lot
	of other people.

	I'll apologise here to pk & others of core for making such ignorant
	statements, but unless we know why things have to be like they are,
	or if there is some hope for things getting back together then
	ignorant (& frustrated) statements are all we've got.

	(Sorry for the ramblings - but its late & I have a hell of a migrane
	& do not feel up to rewriting)

		David

  D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME)    (+44) 171 477 8186    abs@Monochrome
         (>=-=<)   Network Analyst  {post,host}master  (>=-=<)
 Computing Services, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
     / Monochrome - biggest UK internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk \