Subject: Re: 1.0 ethernet weirdness
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
From: Larry McVoy <lm@slovax.engr.sgi.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/20/1995 13:28:25
I'm deleted all of this thread except this last one (full mailbox).
>From this fragment, this sounds like someone is trying to solve
a problem I solved at Sun as part of the sparc cluster 1 product (now
defunct :-(

If someone could provide a summary of what was trying to be accomplished
(it sounds like you want more than one wire to the same net) then maybe
I can help.

: > You do not want to put two ethernet cards onto the same ethernet cable
: > for performance reasons -- it actually lowers performance because
: > (theoretically) it increases collisions.
:
: If you connected 2+ ethernet cards to a switching hub, you would be
: able to have multiple clients talking to your server at the
: same time.  I'm not sure how 'load-balancing' would occur, but
: I would think having the same ethernet address would definitely
: problem.. :-)
:
: -Andrew