Subject: Re: 1.0 ethernet weirdness
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/20/1995 11:35:26
On April 20, you wrote:
> I recently installed a second ethernet on the sbus of the SPARC I've
> been playing with NetBSD on.  At boot time the kernel reports, in part,
>
> le0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0xc00000 pri 5: hardware address 08:00:20:10:44:eb
> le1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0xc00000 pri 5: hardware address 08:00:20:10:44:eb
>
> This looks fishy to me.  I thought that every ethernet interface by
> definition had its own distinctive hardware address, different from
> that of any other ethernet interface in existence.

  Same thing happens to us here under SunOS 4.1.3, on all of our
4/300's and 4/400's, when we plop either a sun2 ethernet or a sun3/e
ethernet board in the machine.  They definitely do *not* have the same
address (as verified by arp) and work fine, they're just *reported* to
have the same address.

                           Regards,
                            -Dave McGuire
                             Operations