Subject: Re: Sparc 20 ?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/20/1995 16:35:20
Hi,

on Thu, 20 Apr 1995 06:52:01 +0200 Ken Hornstein wrote
concerning "Re: Sparc 20 ? " something like this:

> However ... a regular sun4m kernel from SunOS
> 4.1.3_U1 boots just fine on a sparc 20, which leads me to believe one of two
> things:

> 1) Sun put support for the 20 in SunOS, and it just isn't mentioned anywhere in
>    the kernel config files.

> 2) The differences in the 20 are either in a level not dealt with by the kernel
>    or there is some sort of compatibility hardware that makes it work with
>    SunOS but isn't as fast/cool/better as the native support in Solaris.

> Me, I'm hoping for number 2 :-)

I believe you're completely wrong on that point. The sun4m architecture is
in any case a multiprocessor architecture. I don't really find it surprising,
that a SunOS 4.1.3 kernel for sun4m does indeed work on all sun4m machines.
Of course, for real multiprocessor support, Sun has put some additional code
into their kernel.

And a sun4c kernel does not work on sun4m machines, regardless whether they
have only one or more processors. So we still have lots of work to do, to
get sun4m running, even without "real" multiprocessor support.

Bye, Rolf