Subject: NetBSD/sparc on sun4m/sparc20
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/06/1995 13:56:12
Here at NRL I am involved with a project that involves hooking a number of sparc
20's up to the internal bus of a CM-5.  Right now we are going to run SunOS
on them, but there is interest on running a BSD 4.4-based OS, and of course
NetBSD sprang into my mind immediately.  This is part of large Washington-DC
based ATM ring, and there's interest in getting systems with the TCP large
windows code up and running (yes, I know there exist binary distributions of
this for SunOS, but we also need multicast on these machines and the two
distributions conflict).

Now, I know the sun4m doesn't work yet (at least, that's what I heard).  But
I'm perfectly happy to help people get it working (and unlike other projects
I'm involved with, since I'm getting paid to do this, I might actually get it
done in a reasonable time frame).  Can someone tell me the following:

a) What's the current status of the sun4m port?  (kinda started, halfway there,
   nothing done at all?).

b) What kind of documentation would I need to actually work on a sun4m port?

Thanks,

--Ken