Subject: Performance question about NetBSD/sparc -current
To: (NetBSD/sparc Maillist) <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/1995 17:06:13
	I'm trying to moniter a series of machines, variously NetBSD,
	SunOS 4.1, and Solaris 2.3, and I noticed the rup (or equiv)
	value for a NetBSD machine is very much lower than for a SunOS
	or Solaris machine at the same perceived load.

	 Ie 16Mb ss1 running 4.1.3u1     with 30 users has load of 3.3
	    16Mb ELC running NetBSD/1.0A with 23 users has load of 0.3

	But the ELC is very much more sluggish.

	This isn't a 'why can't NetBSD be faster moan' - I'm sure people
	are too busy to even respond to that, but a 'can the values returned
	from rup be comarable to a SunOS machine' - as we have an automatic
	redirector which picks the lowest loaded machine, which is always
	NetBSD, even when a SunOS machine is a much better choice...

  D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME)    (+44) 171 477 8186    abs@Monochrome
         (>=-=<)   Network Analyst  {post,host}master  (>=-=<)
 Computing Services, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
     / Monochrome - biggest UK internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk \