Subject: Re: X11 R6 fix-11 explodes ... loose shrapnel inflicts many casualties
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/20/1995 14:33:44
I am the one who integrated the NetBSD/sparc fixes to XFree86. My goal
was to be able to build the XFree86 tree on all NetBSD architectures I
have access to (for now only i386 and sun4c) with maximum
compatibility between architectures. In fact I only kept Dennis
Ferguson and Matthew Green's patches to hw/sun. All other OS problems
were already adressed by XFree86 for NetBSD/i386.

I dropped the use of rgb.db since XFree86 doesn't use it anymore on
i386 platform. I'm also responsible for the UseRGBTxt typo in
NetBSD.cf. For i386, it's defined in xfree86.cf so it doesn't hurt,
but you're right.

For the xterm and twm patches, some other patches (functionnaly
equivalent) are in XFree86 but were not taken by the X consortium for
fix-11. I don't know if they have any plans to integrate them in a
future fix. I suppose that you can submit your diffs in a bug report.

XFree86 3.1.1 (with one patch from README.late) should compile and run
on NetBSD/sparc.  I had to switch back to SunOS 4. on the sun where I
had NetBSD/sparc installed so I haven't tested it since XFree86 3.1.0A
(5 december 1994). I hope to reinstall NetBSD on it in a near future.

					Matthieu