Subject: scsi cdrom problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris <itchris@syrinx.ucdavis.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/1995 22:49:47
Hi. I'm having problems getting a SCSI cdrom to work under 1.0R/sparc.

Hardware is a Sun ELC, two scsi drives, a FUJITSU M2694ES-512 811F 1G
drive, and a DEC RRD42 cdrom.  The kernel probes the device as

sd1 at tg1 unit 0: DEC RRD42   (C) DEC 4.3d, 1323708 512 byte blocks
sd1: <>

I used this drive to install netbsd (well, the sunos bootblocks anyhow)
and it seems to mount once after a cold reboot.  Once I've mounted and
unmounted once, I can no longer access the device.

I try

bash# mount /dec/sd1a /cdrom
/dec/sd1a on /cdrom: No such file or directory

bash# ls -ld /dev/sd1a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    7,   8 Jan 19 14:55 /dev/sd1a

bash# ls -ld /cdrom
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 19 16:46 /cdrom

I tried -current, but experienced the same types of problems. (This was a
pretty old current, when cd0 was first introduced.) I may try a -current
tarball later, but given that I saw the problem under both, I'm loath to
break the rest of the OS. ;)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-Chris

-- Gabbpuy! -- Abusus non tollit usum! --
Chris Lambertus, Sys. Admin   | cmlambertus@ucdavis.edu
Information Resources ACSM    | (916)752-6547 Fax:(916)752-9145
University of California      | Davis, California 95616
X Windows, IRC Administration | Miscellaneous other gizmos