Subject: Re: SCSI timeout on boot
To: Matthew Donaldson <matthew@cs.adelaide.edu.au>
From: John Stone <johns@cs.umr.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/1995 16:54:03

> I've been trying out the 1.0 Sparc release, and yesterday found that sort
> had strange problems on a particular file.  Assigning two variables to 0
> caused a seg fault.  It seemed to be some sort of cache or compiler problem,
> because referencing them first before assigning them caused the problem to

  Don't know about this stuff up here  ^^^^

> go away mostly.  I can give more info on this if desired, but I thought
> I'd try the new kernel in the "snapshots" directory on sun-lamp.  But when
> I try and boot it, after it recognises all the devices, I start getting this:
>
> probe(esp:0:0:0) timed out
>
> over and over.  The probe(esp:0:0:1) timed out, etc etc and it never boots.
> Is this a well-known problem?  Any help on either problem would be appreciated.

  I seem to be having a very similar/related problem with the current
  SCSI code.  I have a 4/330 with 4 scsi disks and a CD-ROM attached.
  When the machine boots, it mis-identifies one drive, and if my target 2
  disk is there, it hangs doing the probe(esp:....) thing as you described
  above.  The main difference, is that mine only hangs on the probing if
  my disk with ID 2 is connected.

Here's a list of the hardware I've got from SunOS's point of view:
sm0 at obio 0xfa000000 pri 2
st0 at sm0 slave 32
st1 at sm0 slave 40
st2 at sm0 slave 24
st3 at sm0 slave 16
sr0 at sm0 slave 48     (Toshiba 3401 CD-ROM...)
sd0 at sm0 slave 0
sd0:  <SEAGATE-ST12550N-0014 cyl 2706 alt 2 hd 19 sec 81>
sd1 at sm0 slave 1
sd2 at sm0 slave 8
sd2:  <SUN0669 cyl 1614 alt 2 hd 15 sec 54>
 *  Under NetBSD this drive appears twice, with the disk listed below as
 *   sd6, showing up as the second one...

sd3 at sm0 slave 9
sd4 at sm0 slave 16
sd4:  <SUN0207 cyl 1254 alt 2 hd 9 sec 36>
 *  Under NetBSD/Sparc, with the latest sources, this drive causes the
 *   the repeating prob(...) messages.
sd6 at sm0 slave 24
sd6:  <CDC Wren IV 94171-344 cyl 1545 alt 2 hd 9 sec 46>
 * Under NetBSD this drive shows up as a copy of the sd2 drive listed
 *  above, and it isn't accessible via mount etc..

Does anyone else have any suggestions here?
I haven't heard of anyone else having problems quite like these, is this
weirness with the 4/3x0 sm0 drivers, or just generic SCSI problems?

  John Stone
  johns@cs.umr.edu

-
*     Computers: dumber than any human, smarter than any administrator.  *
*      John Stone - Computer Science Graduate Student / Unix Admin       *
*                     University of Missouri - Rolla                     *
*     Unix, its a nice place to live, but you don't want to visit there. *