Subject: Re: New -current SCSI integrated support
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/11/1995 06:48:06
[ Warning: NyQuil-based lifeform typing.]

>> OK, I haven't looked that hard, but it would appear that the SPARC port is
>> now using the "mainline" SCSI code, and thus now support extra goodies like
>> maybe my CD-ROM drive and my 5 Gb Exabyte (yes?).
>
>   Support has gotten somewhat better for tape.   A kernel from December would
> see my 1/4" cartridge tape drive, but it wouldn't work.  Today's -current
> kernel will read and write the tape.   However, it also generates kernel error
> messages, and if you generate a SIGINT in the middle of a tape operation you
> may crash the machine.  (I crashed my 4/370 with a DMAWAIT1 panic ...)  There
> were also long delays at the start up and stop of the "tar" process (probably
> as it opened and closed the tape device).

[ Lotsa stuff ]

> yikes# tar cvf /dev/rst0 .
> ./
> .cshrc
> .klogin
> .login
> .profile
> typescript
> tar: can't write to /dev/rst0 : Input/output error
>
> yikes# tail /var/log/messages
> Jan  9 19:46:26 yikes /netbsd: st0 at scsibus0: density code 0x0, 512-byte
> blocks, write-enabled
..
> Jan  9 19:56:23 yikes /netbsd: st0(esp0:4:0): illegal request
> Jan  9 19:56:23 yikes /netbsd: st0: cannot set selected mode
> Is anyone else seeing these problems?

Last night I downloaded one of pk's new kernels and tried a test boot (-as)
with my existing 1.0 userland.

My work system has 2 Archive Viper QIC-150 1/4" tape drives and a SunCD+
(Sony CDU-561) CD-ROM.  All 3 devices are seen at boot time.

I made /dev entries for them (st0, st1, cd0a, cd0d etc.) and then tried to
tickle each one.

"mt -f /dev/rst0 status" tickled the tape drive OK, but I still got messages
similar to yours ("st0(esp0:4:0): illegal request", or somesuch) and the
"mt" failed.  Same thing for "mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind".  One of those also
complained about not being able to recognize the drive type (7).

I then tried to test the CD-ROM via "mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt" (and also
/dev/cd0d) but the drive isn't accessed, and it immediately returns due to what
looked like an EOPNOTSUPP.

I tried to manually type in the error messages, but suddenly got hit by a
DMAWAIT1 panic.

I don't know if using a 1.0 userland is what's causing these problems or not.
I just thought I'd give it a whirl and report back what happened.  YMMV

	- Greg